Russell, Michael W, In Waiting: Travels in the Shadow of Edwin Muir (Glasgow: Neil Wilson Publishing, 1998).
How stands the real, everyday Scotland as it waits for its democratic future to be born? What do ordinary Scots men and women — and those who have settled here recently — think, expect and want in the new millennium?
Russell's travels in the early months of 1998 reveal a patchwork of expectations and hopes as people go about their everyday lives. In doing so he portrays a witty, engaging and incisive portrait of a people approaching an historical landmark.
IN WAITING is the story of Russell's journey to places that he has lived or of which he has had an intimate knowledge over the past 30 years. It is not a book of statistics, but rather of real people in real places. These range from Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides, the would-be capital of Edinburgh, the shores of Loch Ness, industrial Lanarkshire, the Solway coast and the vibrant city of Glasgow and from island crofters, a French merchant banker, a crabbit old Englishwoman to a post-punk market gardener. All these human ingredients allow Russell to create a travel book which looks from the inside out and not the outside in.
Revealing Scottish life, culture, personality and character, IN WAITING will be illuminated by the most popular of popular history and embellished with the stories of those who will go on living here after the year 2000.
Publisher's webpage about this title.
- Search for this item at google.com
- Search for this item at goodreads.com
- Search for this item at COPAC: the merged online catalogues of 24 major university research libraries in the UK and Ireland plus the British Library, the National Library of Scotland, and the National Library of Wales/Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru.
- Search for this item at WorldCat: the world's largest network
of library content and services
- Search for this item at isbndb.com
filed under: original works of travel writing
in Travel Writing (journal)
for Travel Writing Studies (Nottingham Trent University)