Creative Archipelagos: Explorations of Islands in Scottish Literature and Culture (Sabhal MÚr Ostaig, Isle of Skye, Scotland: 29 June - 1 July, 2018)Deadline: 1 Dec 2017
This conference will investigate the many portrayals, both historical and contemporary, of the rich, distinctive cultures of the Scottish islands or islands with Scottish connections through poetry and song, fiction and non-fiction, drama, film, art and music.Contact details:
We invite submissions of abstracts concerning works from all periods which explore any aspect of island experience, from any methodological angle. Papers on contemporary interdisciplinary projects which blend island traditions and artistic experiment to create new works and new ways of living on the islands are also encouraged.
Paper topics could include but are not limited to:
* representations of past and present Scottish island life and culture
growing up on islands in Scottish literature
* creative and aesthetic approaches to representing Scottish islands
* environments, economies and contemporary change
* Scottish islandsí vulnerabilities and resilience
* the languages of Scottish islands
* archipelagic comparisons: Scottish islands/archipelagos and islands/archipelagos across the world
Please send abstracts (not more than 300 words) for papers of 30 minutes in length, including a brief biography and institutional affiliation.
Replace [at] with the appropriate symbol in email addresses where applicable
Filed under: Call for Papers - Conferences
in Travel Writing (journal)
for Travel Writing Studies (Nottingham Trent University)