Alexander von Humboldt and Travellers through Yucatan: CEPHCIS/UNAM IX International Conference (Merida, Yucatan, Mexico: 19-24 Nov 2018
)Deadline: 29 May 2017
Organisers: Dr Carolina Depetris; Dr Fernanda Valencia SuárezContact details:
Hosted by: The Peninsular Center for Humanities and Social Sciences (CEPHCIS) of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), in collaboration with Humanities Coordination of the UNAM and the Humboldt State University of California.
The main objective of the conference is to encourage the academic interdisciplinary debate around the prominent figure of Alexander von Humboldt and the travellers who toured the Yucatan from the first explorations of the Spanish conquerors to the present day. The importance of the figure of Alexander von Humboldt in the studies on America cannot be denied. From his arrival to the New Continent and his observation and recording of the natural, social, archaeological and cultural reality, he defined not only areas of knowledge concerning the broad regions of America, but also a new way of conceiving knowledge. Crossing disciplinary boundaries, Humboldt enriched the natural sciences with aesthetics, and the latter with science, and it is from this early moment in the nineteenth century, in this mixture of the norms of the scientific knowledge with those of artistic sensitivity, that the American space and identity are reconfigured. This conference invites scholars to reclaim and revitalize the rich heritage of the interdisciplinary dialogue that propelled Alexander von Humboldt on his journey through America.
The event is open to specialists, professionals and graduate students and to all those interested in the conference themes.
Possible topics include:
* Alexander von Humboldt
* Travellers between Yucatan and Europe/ America/ Asia/ rest of the world
* Science and Aesthetics (Travels and archaeology/ ethnography/ politics/ history/ literature/ philosophy/ sociology/ natural sciences/ ecology/ medicine)
* Travel Genres (Travel literature/ Travel anthologies/ Travel journals/ Travel letters and chronicles/ Theoretical approaches to the genre)
* Types of Travels (Discovery/ Conquest/ Missionary/ Diplomatic/ Political/ Scientific/ Journalistic/ Aesthetic/ Space)
* Travelling women
* Travels and the construction of the Other
* Emigration, exile, immigration
* Graphic representations of travels (drawings, paintings, engraving, photos)
Papers can be presented in Spanish, English, French or Maya and should not exceed 20 mins.
Submissions should include a paper title, an abstract (200 words approx.) and 5 (max.) keywords, together with your name, affiliation, area of specialty, and email address.
The Organizing and Scientific Committees will be selecting papers to be considered for publication in a book.
Replace [at] with the appropriate symbol in email addresses where applicable
Filed under: Call for Papers - Conferences
in Travel Writing (journal)
for Travel Writing Studies (Nottingham Trent University)